Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When taste matters and the ambiance does not..

"Do not judge a food by its location..." That was what I learned from a restaurant that my grandfparents "kaki-lang" introduced to us.

"What? Pudu Plaza? You mean that old-old building in Pudu? We're eating there for dinner tonight?" , I told my mom that very evening. My perspective still skeptical.

We arrived at Pudu Plaza with 3 cars, all 13 of us... not really comfortable with the surrounding.


At first, we thought it wouldnt be that bad since my grandfather said the entire restaurant was FULLY BOOKED last week. We only could get a table a week after. So, I would imagined that the place would be packed with hungry customers.

But...!

It was no restaurant.! No crystal chandelier and no ceramic tableware..! It's was a food court..!

Believe it or not.. There were only four tables.. that was why it was FULLY BOOKED last week !

The creepy rusted door and rats with the size of a cat didnt help much either..

But when the food came, its was huge and fitted for a king !

But the quality of the food, is no joke ! One whiff and it brings back memories from the 80s..!
Eventhough I wasn't born in that era, but I know, the food is good..! The cook is a pro ! He worked at a five star restaurant during the 80s...(assumption)

I shall stop explaning, and let the photos do the talking !


....melamine tableware...

..the creepy door...

..the visible kitchen...

....this is what they meant by FULLY BOOKED....

...1st dish, seriously, its huge !



...even the scallop is huge for its size...


... I unofficially call this dish as the fis-ken, looks like chicken but its actually a combination of fish paste and chicken meat, two thumbs up !. ...


... the best pai kuat(pork ribs) I've ever tasted, with Singapore's Tony Romas Quality !....


... XXL Prawn Noodles for a very reasonable price !.....


For desserts, the Yam Cake is a must try, it was too yummy and I forgot to the pictures of it..

P/S : If you're looking for a place with a real authentic chinese dinner but minus the fancy chandeliers, I totally recommend this place -
Hiong Kong Restaurant @ Pudu Plaza, Basement Level...
Call Master Chef Wong @ 012- 6677944 (Reservation is compulsory)
...and....
(Beware of China Dolls)



Still doubtful? Then you should definitely check out this article..

2 comments:

Zhiqin said...

Thank you! haha, yay! New place to explore!

Shi Yan said...

sounds deliciousss